knitting balls

Knitting a ball opens up so many creative possibilities.  It's easier than it looks.  I found this simple pattern, called 'Oh Balls!' on Ravelry (must be a member) and quickly knit up two of them as cat toys.  They take a tiny bit of worsted weight yarn (I used Lion Brand Wool Ease) and 4 double pointed needles.    

I used bits of batting to fill the balls halfway, then poured some catnip in them, then more batting.  In the smaller blue ball, I put a bell.  The larger ball, at about 2.5 inches diameter, was knitted on size 8 bamboo needles and the smaller one, a little less than 2 inches diameter, on size 6 aluminum needles.  I like the bamboo needles better as they're grabbier and will not drop out of the stitches.  

Using double pointed needles can be confusing at first.  I suggest searching out YouTube videos and watch how it's done.  It's so worth learning this method!  You can now knit teeny tiny tubes!

Now that I've mastered balls, I can knit octopi and an eggplant!  Eventually I hope to graduate to praying mantis.  Amigurumi Knits
by Hansi Singh is one of my favorite knitting books, and I have yet to try any of her patterns.  They intimidated me.  I now have no fear!  
From Blogger Pictures

Knucklehead is crazy about his new toys.  He's our old boy at 15 years, and still playful.  
From Blogger Pictures
From Blogger Pictures

Comments

Mara Acoma said…
OOooo that opens up a whole new wonderful set of ideas about what to do with my odd bits of yarn.

My cat Fire would love these..... :)

Popular posts from this blog

trellis lace bookmark

leaf me alone, i'm reading

Trois Fleurs Lace Bookmark