Hat Heads

I love books. I have the best job for someone who loves books, working in a library. I especially love books about knitting. I own some, and buy them only after checking them out from the library. If they have more than 2 or 3 patterns that I love, I’ll buy the book. It’s rare, in fact, I don’t think I ever have actually read a whole knitting pattern book from cover to cover. I did with this one. All I wanted was to find a hat pattern to go with a scarf I’m making for David. I found a gem of a book with a wonderful story; Hat Heads: 1 Man + 2 Knitting Needles = 50 Fun Hat Designs by Trond Anfinnsen with photography by Klaus Nilsen Skrudland. Trond, aka KnitKid, taught himself how to knit and began to knit hats for friends and family in his town of Stavanger in Norway. Each hat pattern is accompanied by a paragraph describing the person and how the hat was designed just for them. The photo portraits of the hat wearers by Klaus Nilsen Skrudland are compelling and beautiful. I feel exactly as Trond does when he tells about the act of giving something you’ve made to someone. It is to be hoped that they will be surprised and pleased with the fact that you spent hours working on your gift and thinking about them.

I didn’t find the hat for David but this book inspires me to make my own hat patterns to match the personality of the wearer. It also got me thinking about other items I’m knitting for gifts, and making them even more personalized. A whole series of washcloths, with matching hand-milled soaps, or …the possibilities are endless! I actually did knit a washcloth for my friend Jimi and gave it to her as part of her birthday gift last night. It was soft green to match her bathroom and had the symbol for libra knitted on it. I wrapped a bar of green Oriental Tea soap in the cloth. She really liked it and it only took me a couple of hours to make. I found the free pattern on Ravelry.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

trellis lace bookmark

leaf me alone, i'm reading

Trois Fleurs Lace Bookmark