Top Ten Reasons Why Frigid Weather in Tampa is a Good Thing

@#$% it’s cold. Feh! At least I’m not in International Falls, Minnesota, though I’m sure it’s a perfectly nice place to live. We’re not used to temps in the 30’s. It was 31 when I left for work this morning. Tampa is the 10th hottest city in the US, but for days, it’s been cold here and the forecast is for more of the same for another week. It will be in the 40’s for a high on Saturday with a low in the 20’s and maybe it will snow for the first time since 1977. Wayne has been miserable. He puts on long johns when the temperature drops below 60. He’s taking care of the orchids and other tropical plants, though. He built a tent in the backyard with a heat-lamp in it for them.


We have too many to bring them all into the house. The yard (and everyone else’s in the neighborhood), looks like it’s full of ghosts wearing multicolored sheets, as we’ve covered the plumeria, hibiscus, birds of paradise and bromeliads.

It occurred to me today that there are good things that come out of seemingly bad situations like this. That happened when one of my coworkers, Shelly, told me that she was taking up a collection to buy an electric blanket for another coworker, Bunny, who has no heat in her house except for a space heater in the bathroom (many here do not…10th hottest city and all that crap). At lunch, Shelly went and purchased the really plush blanket and gave it to Bunny with a card we all signed. It was a very warm and fuzzy moment.

Here’s my list of 10 good things…

10. Hot chocolate.

9. I can wear my sweaters.

8. I can wear my leather pants.

7. I can wear my charcoal wool swing coat.

6. I can wear my scarves.

5. I can wear the elegant leather gloves my mother gave me.

4. Lenny Bruce doesn’t wake me up at 3 am to go outside. He’s been in all night for the last 3 nights snuggled up in bed with us (he’s our wild tiger cat).

3. We have a fire in the fireplace for the first time in 4 years.














2. Chances of a hurricane are nil.

And the number 1 reason:

1. Bunny will sleep warm tonight.

Comments

Cousin Eric said…
Hey Cuz, your fireplace looks beautiful! Glad to hear you have an opportunity to enjoy your warm fuzzies of all sorts. By the way, remember that you can prevent frost damage by hosing down your tender shrubs. Orange growers do it. The water holds a lot of energy that it will have to release before it freezes, if it does, so it helps protect the plants. Take it from this horticulturist; its a known fact.

Popular posts from this blog

trellis lace bookmark

leaf me alone, i'm reading

Trois Fleurs Lace Bookmark