lunar eclipse

If you missed it, or live in a cave and didn't know about the total lunar eclipse that happened ridiculously early on the morning of December 21st, 2010, I have pictures!  You won't get to see another one from North America until April 15, 2014.

Before Wayne and I went to bed that night, we got out the big tripod and my tiny Panasonic Lumix and set them up.  I set the Lumix to it's 'night scenery' setting, because I can't  be bothered to figure out the optimum manual settings.  I also set out warm clothing to jump into when the alarm went off at 3:00AM.  Then we went to bed and I did my usual before sleep reading (I was reading a really good book...Super Sad True Love Story by Gary Shteyngart, which I hope is not a foretelling of the world of the next lunar eclipse in 2014).  The book was so good, that I didn't put the it down until something like 1:30AM.  Two minutes later, the alarm went off.  Wayne, jumped right out of bed and got dressed while prodding me to do the same.  I groaned, I mumbled, I said 'f@#$ it, I'm not getting up, you take the pictures and I'll look at it tomorrow'.  I woke up enough to realize, this is a rare thing and I do want to see it in person.

In the backyard, the red moon, at about 3:15AM was totally eclipsed.  We had to position the camera to shoot through the branches of a big oak tree, but had a clear view.  These are not the best pictures, but I'm proud of them.  My favorite is the first one, taken before I set the zoom to the maximum 10x my camera will take.  You can see Orion's belt in the lower left.
From lunar eclipse
The next few were taken over the course of about 5 minutes.  The exposure for each is 8 seconds.  If I'd thought to use the timer to take the shot, maybe they would have been even clearer.  The aperture and focal length are different for each.  Click on the individual pictures if you want to see the settings.
From lunar eclipse
From lunar eclipse
From lunar eclipse
From lunar eclipse

Here is a wonderful time lapse version of the eclipse from YouTube:

We like the moon.  But maybe not as much as cheese.


A trip to the moon - Georges Melies
Uploaded by jedall. - Check out other Film & TV videos.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Hey, I am checking this blog using the phone and this appears to be kind of odd. Thought you'd wish to know. This is a great write-up nevertheless, did not mess that up.

- David

Popular posts from this blog

trellis lace bookmark

leaf me alone, i'm reading

Trois Fleurs Lace Bookmark