orchid surprise

It has been about 7 years since the orchid bug bit us and we have gone completely and irrevocably bonkers for orchids.  Thank you so much, Carl and Gladys, for giving me my first orchid that did not die.  This is that dancing lady oncidium after a few years.  It is in bud now, and has been divided into three plants.
From orchids
I am not one of those fastidious collectors who carefully label each plant.  No...tags which come with them get lost.  Squirrels steal them.  I'm sure of it.  The lack of documentation makes it a pleasant surprise each time one of the unlabeled orchids bloom.  This cattleya was a gift without a tag.  It had buds which ended up opening up into beautiful ruffled peach blossoms.  It has a faint sweet smell.
From orchids
Last weekend found us at the USF Botanical Gardens annual Spring Plant Show & Sale.  Our intention was to buy some landscaping plants for the front yard, to which we pay absolutely no attention.  There were orchid vendors there, of course.  We came home with six new orchids and a replacement lobster claw heliconia (for the one we lost to a freeze last winter).  So much for jazzing up the front yard...but the back yard looks fabulous!
From orchids
Lenny Bruce lends his tail as a tape measure to show the size of these Onc. Twinkle 'Sunlight' orchids.
From orchids
We love the bizarre shapes of bulbophyllum.  This one is a species, bulb. Maximum.  It is of maximum bizarrity with it's spear shaped bloom.
From orchids
Beallara is a new one for us.  I love the shape and color, but I especially love the name 'Lunatic Fringe'.
From orchids
We haven't had as much success with Cymbidiums. But I'm a glutton for punishment and bought another one.  I was told by the vendor, Charles Chapman of Chapman's Orchids in Apopka, that most Cymbidiums sold in Florida at grocery stores and flea markets come from California and are high altitude plants.  This one is low altitude and will do well here.  I believe him mostly because he had the most beautiful moustache I've ever seen (next to my cousin, Eric's).

We also enjoyed Pineapple/Orange/Guava juice and Coconut Sorbet at the plant sale, especially since it was 90 degrees.  Maybe we'll get those landscaping plants for the front yard at the Butterfly, Herb and Native Plant Sale in June.

Comments

Mara Acoma said…
OK I'm afraid I'm still in the category of people who can't keep orchids alive so I'm very jealous

Popular posts from this blog

trellis lace bookmark

leaf me alone, i'm reading

Trois Fleurs Lace Bookmark